Xorg packaging

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Thu Mar 29 11:35:51 PDT 2007

Am 29.03.07, 22:34 +0800 schrieb JM Ibanez:

> In all the cases, I can see no reason for packaging the whole mess as a
> monolithic block of software -- the tradeoffs are just not worth it,
> even if the common case is the third one, the standard desktop.

You have reasons. As well, xorg is not a simple thing. For the non desktop
cases you may be right. I have not that experience about.
So let me tell more from the viewpoint of the comfortable desktop users?
Or are they not?

Major applications on osX are huge too. Do they come in splitted packages?
No. Every single button is a barrier to reach users.

Now one can decide to be more distribution friendly, this has its own
value, or be more user friendly. If we all have luck, with the help of a
fan or a student xorg can serve both ;)

> Consider security updates:

This is a considerable point, at least for distributions.

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--
development for color management