x.org is Hacker Trash

Dâniel Fraga fragabr at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 07:22:30 PDT 2007

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 01:49:54 -0700 (PDT)
xorg sucks <x.org_is_hacker_trash at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The only repository is the UNSTABLE one! 530 MB for
> something that MIGHT WORK!? Are you pullin' ma leg?
> Yankin' my chain? That's a real knee slapper, that
> one, I tell you boy!

	i do not agree that x.org "sucks", but I agree that it could
have a better way to download, compile and install/update x.org.

	Last time I installed x.org I used the jhbuild method. It's
very nice, although I can't just force it to download the latest stable
version. For example:

http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/xserver.git;a=summary

	we have all sort of tags, including XORG-7_1, but *not*
XORG-7_2.

	I e-mailed Eric Anholt and he said that jhbuild was intended to
be used only to developers. But jhbuid is the easiest method to install
x.org (yes, I tried to use the script method without success).

	jhbuild, in my opinion, is much more robust.

	So, IMHO, I think the right direction would be to have a method
to download and install/update x.org *stable* using jhbuild. I'm sure
it's possible, I just don't know how to change the jhbuild instructions
to do that...

http://wiki.x.org/wiki/JhBuildInstructions

	since there isn't a tag XORG-7.2 or something like that.

--
http://u-br.net
Linux 2.6.20: Homicidal Dwarf Hamster