Mac Keyboard mapping?

Michel Dänzer michel at tungstengraphics.com
Thu Mar 29 00:12:08 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 15:38 -0400, Michael Lorenz wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2007, at 15:42, Henrik Johansson wrote:

> >> With current xkeyboard-config, try XkbModel "macintosh" and XkbOption
> >> "apple:badmap".
> >
> > Thanks for the tip, but that did not change the mapping :(
>
> It's a USB keyboard, isn't it?

Doesn't really matter, current Linux kernels generate compatible
keycodes for all types of keyboards.

> In that case I wouldn't bother with Apple keymaps, as far as I remember
> they're mostly historical and deal with ADB keyboards.

No, that would be "macintosh_old", for ADB keyboards with 2.2 kernels or
2.4 kernels without the 'new input layer'.

> I'd just find a PCish map that mostly matches the layout ( as
> in - claims to be the same language variant ) and correct the
> rest using xev/xmodmap.

The purpose of XkbModel "macintosh" is precisely to account for the
differences between Apple keyboards and standard PC keyboards.