Fwd: xf86-video-i810-1.9.92 works on external 1920x1200 but not 1400x1050 laptop screen...

m h sesquile at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 09:06:46 PDT 2007

On 3/28/07, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
> Keith Packard wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 13:44 +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> >
> >> After all it works OK
> >> on the Macbooks with i945GMs so they must have had similar problems no?
> >
> > Yes, it's the same chip, so we just need to fix the driver. The solution
> > here is to split the frame buffer into two pieces and manage them
> > separately. That causes extra overhead when rendering as all operations
> > must be translated, clipped and drawn twice. It's not a terribly
> > difficult concept, it's just a lot of typing.
>
> I'll make you tea and coffee if you do the typing :p

I'll test any extra typing ;)

On the flip side, I'm impressed at how far the driver/X has come.  A
couple days ago I couldn't even use my 24 inch screen, and now I'm
spanning two.  (Thanks to gentoo to, for making me only have to type 3
commands to get the latest RC (the builds weren't in the tree)).

For now, I'm going to live without beryl/google earth.