Fwd: xf86-video-i810-1.9.92 works on external 1920x1200 but not 1400x1050 laptop screen...

JM Ibanez jm at orangeandbronze.com
Wed Mar 28 08:30:04 PDT 2007

Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> writes:

> On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 21:38 +1200, Andrew McMillan wrote:
>
>> It's a shame that the 2048x2048 limitation is just too small.  Readily
>> available _single_ screens are pushing that.
>
> Not just pushing, a standard resolution is 2560 wide now.
>
>> For me I have just disabled all of DRI, Xv etc in order to be able to
>> extend my desktop, but I wonder what the timeframe will be for the 3D
>> engine to get that limit removed...
>
> The next generation engine (X3000 aka G965) can address up to 8192
> pixels in each direction.

Just curious: can't the driver simply use the hardware to "pan" across
the actual screen with a window/viewport 2048 pixels wide? I mean, can't
the driver trick the hardware into addressing 2048 pixels at a time, at
least for DRI and XV acceleration.

Or, alternatively, can't the driver tell the hardware to accelerate (DRI
and XV) just one output and not the other? That way, I can play
XV-accelerated video on one output. (I understand though that with the
current Git head, and with how things are at the moment, the whole
screen has to be XV accelerated, and clients don't see the difference
between physical outputs/monitors.)