Fwd: xf86-video-i810-1.9.92 works on external 1920x1200 but not 1400x1050 laptop screen...

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Mar 28 08:27:04 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 13:44 +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:

> After all it works OK
> on the Macbooks with i945GMs so they must have had similar problems no?

Yes, it's the same chip, so we just need to fix the driver. The solution
here is to split the frame buffer into two pieces and manage them
separately. That causes extra overhead when rendering as all operations
must be translated, clipped and drawn twice. It's not a terribly
difficult concept, it's just a lot of typing.

Fixing DRI may be a bit more complicated as we'll have to expand the
interface to describe the set of frame buffers.

And, note that this solution cannot make the larger monitors work -- you
still have a limit of 2048 pixels per monitor.

keith.packard at intel.com