RFC: Video decode acceleration API

Bian, Jonathan jonathan.bian at intel.com
Tue Mar 27 14:34:46 PDT 2007

Hi,

Attached is a proposal for a video decode acceleration API that I would
like to get feedbacks from the X.org community. The main motivation for
this proposal is to enable hardware accelerated video decode at various
entry-points (VLD, IDCT, Motion Compensation etc.) for the prevailing
coding standards today (MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264/AVC and VC-1).  After
looking at extending XvMC but due to its original design for MPEG-2
MotionComp only, it seems making more sense to design an interface from
scratch that can fully expose the video decode capabilities in today's
GPUs.

The current interface is focused on video decode only and is window
system independent, so that potentially it can be used with graphics
sub-systems other than X.  In a nutshell it is basically a scheme to
pass various types of data buffers from the application to the GPU for
decoding a compressed bit-stream.  This is very much a work-in-progress
and the current draft only defines data structures for MPEG-2 and VC-1
decode at the VLD (or slice level) entry-point.  I would like to get
this out for critic and feedback before going too much further, and also
hopefully make it a community collaborative effort.

Thanks,

Jonathan Bian