Question about screen resizing

Mathieu Bouchard mbouchar at bioinfo.ulaval.ca
Tue Mar 27 12:33:33 PDT 2007

Hi

I'm using the new intel driver (1.9.92) on debian and everything is working
fine, except for a few problems with the screen size.

I have a Thinkpad R60 (i945 with a 1400x1050 LVDS screen) and I am using a
Samsung SyncMaster 910T (1280x1024) when I'm at work. The problems are:

1 - I have configured a virtual screen size of 2680x1050. Since this
resolution is bigger than 2024x2024, I have no 3D acceleration at all, even
when only the LVDS screen is active. I must edit my xorg.conf file and
restart X in order to have a working 3D environment.

2 - If I plug my laptop to a bigger monitor, I have to edit the xorg.conf file
to set the virtual screen to a bigger value.

Since I like to play 3D games at home, I have to edit the xorg.conf file at
least 2 times per working day, wich is not practical at all since I'm never
restarting the laptop (sleep to memory).

My questions are:

1 - Is there a way to change the maximum screen size while X is running to be
able to have 3D without restarting X?

2 - If not, is it a planned feature?

Thanks
--
Mathieu Bouchard
Centre de bio-informatique

www.bioinfo.ulaval.ca

Avis relatif à la confidentialité/Notice of Confidentiality
http://www.rec.ulaval.ca/lce/securite/confidentialite.htm