X-Server 1.3, randr 1.2 and dualscreen?

JM Ibanez jm at orangeandbronze.com
Sat Mar 24 11:13:05 PDT 2007

Andreas Schildbach <andreas at schildbach.de> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I just built and installed xserver(server-1.3-branch) and
> xrandr(master) on a freshly installed Ubuntu Feisty Beta.
>
> I am using this together with the following Ubuntu packages:
>
>  Name                              Version                Description
>
>  libxrandr-dev                     1.2.0-3ubuntu1         X11 RandR
> extension library (development headers)
>  libxrandr2                        1.2.0-3ubuntu1         X11 RandR
> extension library
>  xserver-xorg-video-i810-modesetti 1.6.5.git20061014.ac1-1ubuntu4
> X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display driver (modesetting)
>
> The X-Server starts and works on the internal notebook display. The
> picture is cloned to my external display. Now, I'd like to extend my
> Desktop to the external display, which is connected and switched on.
>
> $ xrandr --verbose
> Screen 0: minimum 1280 x 768, current 1280 x 768, maximum 1280 x 768
> default connected 1280x768+0+0 normal (normal left inverted right) 0mm x 0mm
>         Identifier: 0x52
>         Timestamp:  -2070506390
>         Subpixel:   horizontal rgb
>         Clones:
>         CRTC:       0
>         CRTCs:      0
>   1280x768 (0x53)   59.0MHz
>         h: width  1280 start    0 end    0 total 1280 skew    0 clock
> 46.1KHz
>         v: height  768 start    0 end    0 total  768           clock
> 60.0Hz
>
> Where is the names of the outputs? I don't even see the external
> output. I need that argument(s) to issue something like
>
> $ xrandr --output ??? --below ???
>
> My graphics chipset is an Intel i915GMS.

I'm also running Feisty, but I compiled with the driver in git; you
should use that instead, as there have been a lot of changes (for
example, modesetting code was moved into the xserver proper instead of
just being intel-specific). That would also explain why you don't get
any output names on xrandr.

--
JM Ibanez
Senior Software Engineer