evdev manpage

Xavier Bestel xavier.bestel at free.fr
Wed Mar 21 07:42:21 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 15:18 +0100, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using evdev 1.1.5 and xserver-xorg-core 1.2.99.902 from debian, and
> I decided to bite the bullet and switch my perfectly working system
> (input-device-wise) to evdev. The manpage tells me to add that:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
>         Driver "evdev"
>         Option "evBits"  "+1"
>         Option "keyBits" "~1-255 ~352-511"
>         Option "Pass"    "3"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier "Generic Mouse"
>         Driver "evdev"
>         Option "evBits"  "+1-2"
>         Option "keyBits" "~272-287"
>         Option "relBits" "~0-2 ~6 ~8"
>         Option "Pass"    "3"
> EndSection
>
> but apparently the server doesn't agree, and sets up default mouse and
> keyboard using the "traditional" drivers. I had to add options to have
> this being the core pointer and core keyboard.
>
> So:
> - maybe the manpage should add the Option "CorePointer" and friend to
> its example (I can provide a patch, but it looks easier to change the
> manpage directly).
>
> - do you guys think evdev is mature enough to be choosen by default by
> the server if it can't find a core pointer/keyboard in the config file ?

BTW, I have been obliged to add a dummy "void" device to workaround a
problem described here: http://zaitcev.livejournal.com/108617.html
Is there a problem just because I don't use latest git, or should the
manpage be really updated ? (I tried searching bugzilla.fd.o but
couldn't find that bug)

Thanks,
	Xav