Problems with video-intel 1.9.92

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Mar 19 18:59:40 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 10:11 +1200, Andrew McMillan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been using -video-i810 1.7.4 on my HP Compaq nx6320 along with
> 915resolution and this is working fine.

Quite a bit of the 1.9.92 development was done on an nc6320, so this
platform should work well...

> When I upgraded to the latest -video-intel 1.9.92 I start X and my
> screen slowly goes a blotchy white, slowly changing to a blotchy green
> and then a blotchy magenta over about 20 seconds.  I.e. it doesn't
> work :-)

Ah, you've got the 1400x1050 screen. We've been seeing several reports
where that resolution isn't working right. We'd love to have you help
out here if you're willing; you'd need to fetch current driver sources
from git and compile them though.

Alternatively, you can wait for RC3 and hope that we've magically fixed
this, we have been working on exactly this problem and things are
working for more people today than last week when 1.9.92 was released.

> The Xorg log file for that is attached.

The log file confirms my suspicions; the clock of 108MHz used for the
LVDS is higher than the BIOS will let run in single channel mode, but
not higher than what 1.9.92 will run in single channel mode.

> This is using the experimental Debian packages of version 1.9.92 of
> xserver-xorg-video-intel along with version 1.2.99.902 of
> xserver-xorg-core.

Thanks much for reporting this issue; please let us know if you're able
and willing to try building from sources to see if current bits work.

keith.packard at intel.com