TV output with xrandr - G965, ch7312 SDVO card

Csillag Kristof Csillag.Kristof.ext at united-consult.hu
Wed Mar 14 17:00:40 PDT 2007

Hi there!

How can I configure the SDVA TV-Out using xrandr?

I am using the next-to-latest (1.9.91) version of the intel X driver.
The chipset is 965G, and I have a Prolink CH7312 SDVO card connected.

The card has a DVI and an S-Video connections.

With a monitor connected to the DVI port, and a TV connected
to the S-Video port, xrandr output looks like this:

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1680 x 1050, maximum 1680 x 1680
VGA disconnected (normal left inverted right)
TMDS-1 connected 1680x1050+0+0 (normal left inverted right) 433mm x 271mm
   1680x1050      60.0*+   60.0
   1280x1024      75.0     59.9
   1280x960       59.9
   1152x864       75.0     74.8
   1024x768       75.1     70.1     60.0
   832x624        74.6
   800x600        72.2     75.0     60.3     56.2
   640x480        75.0     72.8     66.7     60.0
   720x400        70.1
TMDS-2 unknown connection 1280x800+0+0 (normal left inverted right) 0mm x 0mm
   1280x800       60.0*
   1280x768       60.0
   1024x768       60.0
   800x600        60.3
   640x480        59.9

The DVI display is OK, but there is no picture on the TV.

Also, I am not sure how to interpret xrandr output.

The meaning of VGA is clear. (When connecting / disconnecting VGA monitor, the
output changes accordingly.)

TMDS-1 is the DVI port. (Also checked, and it reflects hardware configuration
changes.)

But what is the TMDS-2? Is it the S-Video output? Isn't it supposed to be called "TV"?

Moreover, the data returned about DMDS-2 is the same if I start X with
the TV connected or disconnected.

I can change the modes on this TMDS-2 port, but whatever I do, the TV picture
remains black.

If I boot the system with only the TV connected, the text messages during boot
appear on the TV, but when I try to start X, the TV screen goes black,
and I can not do anything to bring it back to life. I can log in remotely,
and use xrandr to change the modes on TMDS-2, but nothing happens.

I attached xrandr output with and without the monitor connected, and the full
X log for the later case.

  * * *

With the previous version on the driver (before xrandr-1.2),
I could get picture on the TV-out, but only black-and-white,
and it did not fill the screen. But now, with the new version,
even that is gone.

Could you please help me with this?
What more information do you need to debug this?

Thank you for your help:

    Kristof Csillag