[Patch] Allow to configure RANDR 1.2 outputs with no device attached

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Wed Mar 14 07:48:23 PDT 2007

On Mar 13, 07 08:22:30 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> > If the user agent can program arbitrary modes, that's a very minor
> > issue. Instead of the server providing standard modes I would rather
> > have the user program provide these modes and have them easily
> > selectable. I think that is a cleaner design, and the user tool can
> > decide what modes are to be presented to the user.
>
> Ok, sounds like a good plan to me. I've pushed the updated version of
> the xrandr tool; please let me know if the functionality appears
> complete now (yes, the command line is not optimal...)

--newmode
  Adding a mode works well.
  But the output indicates that the mode is used for the last output
  (which is obviously not the case), there is only a single space
  difference. I really like the output formating of the mode parameters,
  though :)
--addmode
  Works well, but not together with --newmode. Error message is missing
  a trailing \n.
--mode
  Works. Again, not together with --addmode.
  So, in order to enable 1024x768 on a non-attached external output,
  currently you have to call xrandr at least three times.
--delmode
  Doesn't seem to work at all right now.
--rmmode
  Doesn't seem to work at all right now, even for non-added (only
  invoked --newmode) modes.

All in all this is surely good enough for our use case.

Thanks

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>      __        __   __