Many keys don't work for French Canadian mapping

Dominic Genest pouite99 at yahoo.fr
Tue Mar 13 16:58:24 PDT 2007

Hi,

Cedillas, arobases, backslashes, and others, don't work in X 7.2.

I compiled X 7.2, and this is not an upgrade. Before starting to compile it, no X was installed at all.

In console mode, before entering X, the login prompt works fine with accents (except that backslash does not work well and inputs unwanted characters instead).
After having logged in, still in console, accents just don't work at all and they are shown as letters instead : é makes an "i" appear, ê makes a "j", etc. (maybe this problem has no link with the main problem?)
Once in X, some accents work, and some others don't, and some key combinations (not accentuated characters) don't work either, as stated above. For example, I can type the following : é ê è â à ä ï ö ô û, etc. but trying to type a cedilla under a "c" just makes a plain "c", and I have no backslash, etc.

I am confused about how the keyboard mappings work. Here is my keyboard "InputDevice" :
Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier "Keyboard1"
   Driver "kbd"
   Option "CoreKeyboard"
   Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
   Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
   Option "XkbLayout" "fr"
   Option "XkbVariant" "ca"
EndSection

I also set "Xkbdisable" to "true" in "ServerFlags".

Can someone give any hint ?

Thanks

Dom

http://fr.answers.yahoo.com