Ignore laptop LCD when external display present

Ian Pilcher i.pilcher at comcast.net
Fri Mar 9 11:52:23 PST 2007

I have a ThinkPad T42 with an ATI Radeon Mobility M7 chip (radeon
driver) and a built-in 1024x768 LCD.  I also have a port replicator and
a 1280x1024 LCD monitor.  When the laptop is in the port replicator
(to which the external LCD is connected), I would like X to ignore the
built-in 1024x768 LCD and exclusively use the external 1280x1024 LCD.

Is this possible?  The "default" behavior seems to limit the resolution
displayed on the external LCD to 1024x768 (the resolution of the built-
in LCD).  I can force things with the PanelSize option, but that makes
the built-in display useless when the laptop isn't in the port
replicator.

Thanks!