[ANNOUNCE] re-port of XDarwin to x.org codebase now available in git
bbyer at apple.com
Tue Mar 6 16:21:49 PST 2007
It's my pleasure to announce that the server-master branch on git now
supports building XDarwin, XDarwin.app, Xquartz, and X11.app. The
code is still alpha-quality, but it is usable for everyday use and we
need your help to make it better! Please submit bug reports and
I've put step-by-step build instructions up here: http://wiki.x.org/
Here's the README file (hw/darwin/README.apple):
This directory contains a port of the XDarwin code to the modular X.org
codebase to be compiled on Darwin/OS X; this would not have been
without the help of Torrey Lyons and Peter O'Gorman, to whom I am
grateful for their patches, time and moral support.
The server builds 4 targets:
* XDarwin: this server runs on Darwin systems without Quartz
(i.e. non-OS X); it has not been well-tested.
* XDarwinApp: this builds XDarwin.app, which is a full X server using
Quartz. It has loadable module support for AGL and CGL, and well as
fullscreen and rootless support.
* Xquartz: this server runs on Quartz-based systems, and is meant to
work with X11.app
* x11app: this builds a version of Apple's X11.app using patches by
Torrey Lyons; most, but not all, functionality of Apple's original
X11.app is present in this release.
* AGL and CGL support for 3D indirect acceleration does not work;
indirect.c has been rewritten, but not yet integrated into this
* Fullscreen mode does not work; I don't know why.
* Some features in X11.app are not yet implemented; these are marked
with #ifdef DARWIN_DDX_MISSING in the code.
* The build system code could probably be cleaned up slightly.
Any patches or code contributions would be most welcome and may be
sent to me at bbyer at apple.com.
More information about the xorg