[ANNOUNCE] xorg-sgml-doctools-1.2

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Mar 4 14:41:51 PST 2007

On Sunday 04 March 2007, Daniel Stone wrote:
>On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 05:15:41PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Sunday 04 March 2007, Daniel Stone wrote:
>> >Okay, and you're missing the point.  DocBook is _not_ the final
>> > format. It is used to generate HTML, PDF, roff, etc.  You write
>> > documentation in DocBook, and users type man whatever.
>>
>> That has never worked here.  Example:
>> [root at coyote ~]# man docbook-utils
>> No manual entry for docbook-utils
>>
>> So where IS the bridge that will teach the user how to use it?
>
>I don't think I'm getting through, somehow.
>
>Users never deal with DocBook.  Full stop.

Oh?  Maybe you should tell the packagers that, lots of stuff ships with
only a docbook subdir in the tree.

>When I type './foo', it doesn't matter to me if it was originally C,
>C++, or whatever.  It's compiled to bytecode, right?
>
>Similarly with DocBook.  You write documentation in DocBook, and then
>convert it to something else, for the users.  People reading the HTML or
>PDFs online don't care that it was once DocBook.  People reading the
>manpages on their systems with 'man XInput' or whatever the document is
>called[0], don't know or care that it was once DocBook.
>
>Sort of how you're probably unaware that most of the generated
>PostScript documents floating around were generated that way from
>_FrameMaker_.  Not just FrameMaker, but a version so old, that we no
>longer have tools that can read it.  After getting in touch with the
>vendor, we finally have a solution whereby one person can run an old
>version of FrameMaker and save it in a version the new one can read, and
>then get it into a sensible format ...
>
>If you don't understand this time, then I really am sorry, but I've done
>all I can.
>
>> >So, I don't see any problem at all.
>>
>> Obviously you are privy to the secret incantations to make it work.  I
>> would like to join that club but my attempts to carve a working key
>> have so far, been both very frustrating, and an utter failure.
>
>I can see why, because you're attempting to solve the wrong problem.
>
>As an aside, I tend to lose interest whenever I see 'M$'.  Particularly
>if the analogy makes no sense.

Mmmm, was not Framemaker an M$ product?  Popular back about the same time
FrontPage managed to break every browser on the planet that expected w3c
validated input?  Please correct me if that's not a correct assumption on
my part.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)