Dual head mode with mouse and keybord isolate at one display

Marcos Iuato iuato at samurai.com.br
Fri Mar 2 06:07:28 PST 2007

Hi all,

I have been using dual head mode with sis driver, configured using the
documentantion from [1] winischhofer. It is working with no problem, I
have configurated the display 0.0 to use as computer (firefox,
openoffice, tvtime, ...) and display 0.1 is using an svideo conected to
a tv to watch dvds and videos.

Just one think is missing to be perfect, my mouse can move from one
display to the other. How can I isolate the mouse and keybord to be
isolated at display 0.0

I have looked fro multi terminals and xephyr, but I think it will be
more robust solution if I could just configure it on Xorg.

Here are some informations about the enviroment:

Debian etch
Linux debian 2.6.18-samurai
xserver-xorg                     7.1.0-11

xorg.conf

Section "ServerLayout"
     Identifier      "Layout1"
     Screen          "Screen-TV"
     Screen      "Screen-VGA" Below "Screen-TV"
     InputDevice     "Keyboard0"
     InputDevice     "Mouse0"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
     Load "freetype"
     # Load "xtt"
     Load  "extmod"
     Load  "glx"
     Load  "dri"
     Load  "dbe"
     Load  "record"
     Load  "xtrap"
     Load  "type1"
#   Load  "vnc"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier  "Mouse0"
     Driver      "mouse"
     Option      "Protocol" "Auto"
     Option      "Emulate3Buttons"
     Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
     Option      "HWCursor" "0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier  "Mouse0"
     Driver      "void"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier  "Keyboard0"
     Driver      "keyboard"
     Option      "XkbModel" "abnt2"
     Option      "XkbLayout" "br"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier  "Keyboard1"
     Driver      "void"
EndSection

         # VertRefresh ??-?? (optional; used for CRT2 only)
         # HorizSync ??-?? (optional; used for CRT2 only)
         # Option "DPMS" (optional; used for CRT2 only)

         # Gamma correction for CRT2
         Gamma 1.000 1.000 1.000

EndSection

# For Dual Head mode, a second "Monitor" section is required.
# The above "Monitor" section is for CRT2, while the following
# one is for CRT1. For example:

Section "Monitor"
     # Replace IDENTIFIER with the real one from the "Monitor"
     # tag in your "Screen" section for CRT1
     Identifier "Monitor-TV"

     # VertRefresh ??-?? (optional, used for CRT1 only)
     # HorizSync ??-?? (optional, used for CRT1 only)
     # Option "DPMS" (optional, used for CRT1 only)

     # Gamma correction for CRT1
     Gamma 1.000 1.000 1.000
EndSection

# For Dual Head mode, a second "Device" section is required.
# The above "Device" section is for CRT2, while the following
# one is for CRT1. Note that not all options can be set in this
# second "Device" section. Options that determine settings
# which both heads need to know about are only allowed in the
# "Device" section for CRT2.
# Options that are allowed here are all "XvDefault...", all
# gamma correction and color related options and a few more.
# For example:

Section "Device"
     #VGA
     Identifier "Card-VGA"
     Driver "sis"
     BusID "PCI:1:0:0"

#   Option "XvDefaultAdaptor" "Blitter"
     Option "XvDefaultAdaptor" "Overlay"

     Screen 1
     # EnableSiSCtrl must be set to use SiSCtrl
     Option "EnableSiSCtrl" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Device"
     # TV
     Identifier      "Card-TV"
     Driver          "sis"
     # "BusID" is mandatory for Dual Head mode.
     BusID "PCI:1:0:0"

#   Option "XvDefaultAdaptor" "Blitter"
     Option "XvDefaultAdaptor" "Overlay"

     # "Screen" is mandatory for Dual Head mode.
     # "Screen 0" is CRT2 (master), "Screen 1" is CRT1 (slave)
     Screen 0
     # [sisctrl] Set CRT1 device type (Note: overrides auto-detection)
     Option "ForceCRT1Type" "VGA"
     # [sisctrl] Set CRT2 device type (Note: overrides auto-detection)

     Option "ForceCRT2Type" "COMPOSITE"
     # [sisctrl] TV related options
     Option "TVStandard" "NTSC"
     Option "SISTVAntiFlicker" "adaptive"
     Option "SISTVSaturation" "0"
     Option "SISTVColorCalibCoarse" "0"
     Option "SISTVColorCalibFine" "0"
     Option "SISTVCFilter" "on"
     Option "SISTVYFilter" "1"
     Option "SISTVXScale" "0"
     Option "SISTVYScale" "0"
     Option "TVXPosOffset" "0"
     Option "TVYPosOffset" "0"
     # [sisctrl] Enable/disable gamma correction for CRT2
     Option "CRT2Gamma" "on"
     Option "EnableSiSCtrl" "true"
     # [sisctrl] Brightness/contrast for CRT2
     # In Dual Head mode, the options "Brightness" and
     # "Contrast" are preferred over "CRT2Brightness" and
     # "CRT2Contrast" (although both variants are accepted).
     Option "Brightness" "0.000 0.000 0.000"
     Option "Contrast" "0.000 0.000 0.000"

     Option          "MaxXFBMem" "24000"

# Now for the real thing: Enable MergedFB mode -----------------

#   Option  "MergedFB" "true"

# Alternatively this can be done by

     Option "MergedFBAuto" "true"

# The difference between MergedFB and MergedFBAuto is that the driver,
# if the first of these options are set, will use CRT1 regardless if
# a monitor is detected or not. MergedFBAuto will cause the driver to
# use MergedFB mode if a monitor is detected, and to disable MergedFB
# mode if no monitor is detected. This is most convenient for notebooks.

# CRT2 should be left of CRT1
# This can be LeftOf, RightOf, Above, Below or Clone
# Default is RightOf

     Option  "CRT2Position" "LeftOf"

# MetaModes: Each mode-pair tells the server which modes to use on CRT1
# (left half of pair) and CRT2 (right half of pair). Modes given without
# being in a pair will be used on both heads whereas the image will be
# cloned. To use eg. 800x600 on both heads, but without cloning, use
# 800x600-800x600.
# If this option is not given, the largest mode for CRT1 will be merged
# with the largest mode for CRT2.

     Option  "MetaModes" "800x600+800x600"

# These define the capabilities of the CRT2 output device (eg. LCD, TV or
# secondary VGA). If CRT2 is LCD or TV, the driver will ignore these values.

     Option  "CRT2HSync" "30-71"
     Option  "CRT2VRefresh" "50-160"
EndSection

Section "Screen"