i965G (Asus P5B-V): Diagnosing ADD2/SDVO issues

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Mar 1 19:03:05 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 19:50 +0100, Rene Wagner wrote:

> > That the BIOS also fails to initialize the SDVO link is another
> > indication that the card isn't compatible with the motherboard; the BIOS
> > should auto-detect and configure the card.
>
> Would there be any DVI signal before the BIOS does the configuration?
> The symptom I see is that I do sometimes get a signal up until grub
> loads.

My only experience with mismatched ADD2 cards failed to POST the
machine. I haven't seen this symptom.

> Asus sells an ADD2-R just for one particular board, the N4L-VM DH. For
> all other boards with i915, i945, i965 chipsets they sell an ADD2-N
> card.

Yeah, most ATX boards appear to use ADD2-N cards.

> The Asus manual that's now linked to from the X.org Wiki (thanks guys!)
> indicates that it's also a Silicon Image card, but based on the
> Sil 1632 whereas the card I have comes with an Sil 1642.
>
> Could that make the difference? I could order the Asus card once any
> reseller has it in stock again.

I don't think so, but I don't recall which chip my boards have, and
they're all at the other office today.

> The other thing I found at [1] is:
>
> "The eventual critical step appeared to be to load the Intel driver
> under windows. After this, I was able to get BIOS, linux console, and X
> on the DVI output."
>
> Could there be any truth in that? It would be the first time any of my
> personal workstations run Windows in five years, but hey...

I'm not sure how this could have any effect, but if it does, I'd love to
know about it so we can fix it. This would indicated that there was some
persistant state on the motherboard or card.

keith.packard at intel.com