Virtual desktop gone

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Fri Jun 29 22:17:47 PDT 2007

Bob Tennent wrote:

> Hi. I've upgraded my ASUS S5N ultraportable to Fedora 7. I used to
> specify i810 as the driver but now that hangs up and I switched to
> intel. But I no longer get a virtual desktop, despite:
>
>                   Virtual   1600 1200

I think this is impossible to fix cleanly, because the "intel" driver
foolishly reuses this keyword for a bounding box of all possible monitor
setups. See the thread starting at
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2007-June/025989.html for the
recommendation to use this "Virtual" keyword in its new meaning.

The problem is that someone has to set the virtual size in order to be able
to dynamically add or remove output devices, but he doesn't necessarily want
to be able to scroll his desktop by moving mouse beyond the screen edge.

Anyway, since the virtual size has no well-defined meaning with RandR'ed
screen (I resize my physical screen from 1280x1024 to 1024x768 with RandR -
what should the scrollable Virtual size be set to?), I think that it should
go away for good from the X server (and from window managers, for the same
reason).

--
Alexander E. Patrakov