Merging SM501 driver from old xfree86 into xf86-video-siliconmotion

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 12:33:37 PDT 2007

On 6/29/07, Clemens Koller <clemens.koller at anagramm.de> wrote:
> Hi, Alex!
>
> Alex Deucher schrieb:
> > On 6/29/07, Clemens Koller <clemens.koller at anagramm.de> wrote:
> >> I am planning to post some updates to the Silicon Motion SM501 (and
> >> SM502) xorg
> >> driver. I want to do some code cleanup to have at least uniform
> >> whitespaces
> >> (like the linux kernel) before I start to change some stuff...
> >>
> >> Below is an update to .gitignore
> >>
> >> Can you please review the changes and push them to the xorg's
> >> xf86-video-smi501
> >> git tree? Feedback is welcome.
> >>

> > Looks fine.  I'll commit the changes tonight.  Let me know when you
> > have new patches.  If they look good, I'd be happy to set up a proper
> > git repo and give you commit access.
>
> Fine! I can also setup a repo where you can pull my changes...
> (it's up to you) More patches are already in my tree.

Either way.

> The driver works basically without changes to my hardware.
> (SM501 on PCI on PowerPC)
> So, I will test that over here. It would be good that you or
> somebody else does also some tests to be sure it stay's in good
> condition. Maybe I can also setup an x86 test machine with the
> SMI501 demo board. Any volunteers are welcome! :-)

I need to set up my demo board at some point.  So at the moment I
can't test.  Last time l messed with it I was stuck on dualhead. I
couldn't get one of the heads to actually scan the FB (cursor worked
however).

> Later on I have to change some stuff to suit the driver to my hardware
> (color swapping, acceleration...).
> I don't think that the changes are needed in the "official" driver.

sure they are!  I'm sure there are others that would find them useful.
 Acceleration should already work, although IIRC, one of the XAA hooks
need to be disabled due to a chip bug.

Alex