supported cards graphics

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Thu Jun 28 09:33:15 PDT 2007

On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 01:52:33AM +1000, Russell Shaw wrote:
> Instituto de Ingenieria Área de Sistemas Unix/Linux wrote:
> > Hello:
> > I'm going to buy an Intel QuadCore system and I would like to install
> > FreeBSD, I'm going to use it with graphic applications so I need it to
> > work well with 3D graphic acceleration cards.
> >
> > In the Freebsd list people reply me by sending a link to the Freebsd
> > supported hardware web site, but there isn't any information about
> > graphic cards, so they tell me to check the Xorg site but i can't find
> > any information regarding supported cards.
> >
> > Could anyone help me with this?
>
> ATI proprietory linux drivers are utter garbage and NVidia ones are
> infinitely better i've found.
>
> The FOSS drivers won't give you much if any acceleration.

Except that neither of them are supported on FreeBSD (NVIDIA's last
FreeBSD driver won't work on anything beyond 6.7.x, IIRC), and that the
FOSS Radeon driver offers almost full acceleration for everything up to
X999 (i.e. anything below X1000), and that the FOSS Intel driver has full
acceleration for all its chipsets.

But, apart from that, I guess you're right.

Cheers,
Daniel