Xorg input thread

Simon Thum simon.thum at gmx.de
Sat Jun 23 06:53:29 PDT 2007

Tiago Vignatti wrote:

> (4) So far I'm not facing any problem concerning the thread safety.
> Yesterday, on the IRC, Mercury and Clee tell me to test the input
> thread on SMP machines to really do it parallelized. I haven't done it
> yet. Some another tips here?
Sorry for being a little late :) Yes.

You may need to consider hotplug, which may provoke the following
situation: The devices you are waiting for get unplugged, but for some
reason do not make select fail or trigger. Now new devices get added,
but select stalls on old ones. This can easily be fixed by including a
dummy fd or a timeout around 1s.

I admit I haven't checked too extensive, but haven't seen precautions
for such a case. If FS_SET would mangage this issue, you're on the safe
side, but I doubt it.

Also, as the author of bug#8583, I would see fit for using your event
loop to improve the timing precision of events, which would improve
results in my code (besides benig of general use).

Regards,

Simon