looking for advice on buying videocard(s) for a 3-monitor setup (RANDR)

Sascha Heid saschaheid at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 11:47:01 PDT 2007

Hello dear list :-)

I want to buy a desktop PC with 3 22" TFT screens (1680x1050 probably).

Now im looking for advice on what kind of videocards i should use for this.
The 3 screens that should be connected to DVI would run as one big
Desktop (xfce or gnome running on gentoo "unstable").

3D is not important but there is one thing that would be really nice.
I would like to be able to rotate the screens individually and because
of the high resolution of the screens the rotation needs to be
accelerated.
I know that works great with intel and nvidia on a normal
single-monitor setup, but what happens if i use multiple cards, maybe
even a dual-head card?
For example, would a dualhead card only work with the binary nvidia driver?

Thx in advance,
Sascha