[intel] Two different screens possible for a Laptop

Remy Bosch remybosch at zonnet.nl
Tue Jun 19 08:53:21 PDT 2007

Bernard Siaud alias Troumad wrote:
> Remy Bosch a écrit :
>> I have one monitor section for my main display (LCD) and added a virtual
>> with the size of the combined size of the two displays.
>>
> I have the good virtual screen
>> [...]
>>
>> Then, when X is started up, you run xrandr:
>> xrandr --output VGA --auto                     # enable any display
>> connected auto-magicly
>> xrandr --output VGA --right-of LVDS    # Set the VGA on the right side
> If I use the bad monitor section, xrandr --prop don't see the 16/9
> mode of my TV !
> If I use the bad monitor section, xorg don't see my 19" screen !

Looks like the TV is connected through s-video or similar where DDC
doesn't work. I guess that the intel-chip "assumes" 9:6 (IIRC) and not
16:9.
I see no info in the manpage of the intel chip so, I wouldn't know where
to start...  Maybe you could tell xrandr the size and resolution of your
tv and then the TV "driver" might accept.
`man xrandr` should tell you all you need in this case.
btw:
Wasn't the TV out listen in xrandr?
When I ask a listing, I get:
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 2560 x 1024
VGA disconnected 1280x1024+0+0 (normal left inverted right) 376mm x 301mm
LVDS connected 1280x800+0+0 (normal left inverted right) 261mm x 163mm
   1280x800       59.9*+
   1024x768       60.0
   800x600        60.3
   640x480        59.9
TMDS-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right)
TV disconnected (normal left inverted right)

Just in case, I CC'd the list ;-)

Remy