i830 problems with xf86-video-intel-2.0

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Jun 19 06:13:05 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 17:27 -0700, David Bronaugh wrote:

> I'll put in a "me too" on this one. I'm running Debian Sid. I upgraded
> to the Intel 2.0 driver, and so far:
>  - Xinerama does not work (causes segfault in the X server)

Yeah, "don't do that". The RandR 1.2 code in the server exposes the
Xinerama extension; the DIX-based Xinerama code crashes stuff. Yes, that
should be fixed.

>  - I can't use the panel integrated into my laptop (ie, the LFP
> connected via LVDS does not work)

Yeah, i830 laptops use an external chip to drive the LVDS and we haven't
managed support for any of them other than the one in the X30 laptop
(IVCH). That support was added after 2.0 was released; you should try
the current driver and see if it works now; if not, you probably have
some other DVO LVDS controller chip.

>  - When I connect a 17" LCD to my laptop, it works at native res
> (woohoo!) but for unknown reasons only 1024x768 of it is usable for
> programs (I'm using ratpoison, and the remainder of the screen is the
> usual X stipple pattern)

That's almost certainly a WM problem; please verify this by using
something else.

>  - When DPMS engages, it shuts down the external CRT like it should;
> however, when I create X activity to restore the display, the display
> comes back up (backlight fires up; display's getting signal), but the
> display is black. Switching to console and back fixes this.

Newer driver bits may help.

keith.packard at intel.com