Getting the intel 915 3D engine to display something with OUT_RING commands only

Keith Whitwell keith at tungstengraphics.com
Tue Jun 19 03:07:04 PDT 2007

Tom De Man wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm still in trouble with a demonstrator I have to make to get the 3D
> engine from the intel 915 to run and display anything using only
> OUT_RING() commands after everything has been set up (2D works).
> I've tried a different approach this time: I took a linux box and
> recompiled the X server driver xf86-video-intel. I noticed the function
> I830SubsequentSolidFillRect() being called periodically, so I added some
> OUT_RING() commands there that hopefully will show something in 3D.
> My 2D code I added there worked as expected: a rectangle is drawn
> regularly at (300,300) as requested.
> I took the code from i915_render.c and added it there also (with some
> fixed parameters) but nothing on screen (no rectange as expected).
> If someone would like to help me, please let me know. I can send you my
> modified i830_accel.c then, I don't think it's appropriate to post it here
> right away. I can ask my boss for a little compensation, I've seen a post
> here recently with a paypall incentive that seemed to do well (don't know
> if it was because of the paypall award or not).

You probably need to set the drawing rectangle, which is done in the
kernel module prior to sending the batchbuffers from the 3d clients to
hardware.  It's used to implement cliprects, fwiw.

But... isn't there some 3d rendering already in the DDX driver, for
rotation, textured video, exa accel, etc???

Keith