i830 problems with xf86-video-intel-2.0

David Bronaugh dbronaugh at linuxboxen.org
Mon Jun 18 17:27:38 PDT 2007

Gilles Dartiguelongue wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> since my distro made it available, I've tried to make the latest version
> of the intel driver work on my tablet pc but I still had no luck with
> it.
>
> While the released tarball wanted to turn on the VGA output instead of
> the internal panel, the git version (from today + fix of remi for
> i830_common.h) just tells me that there is no valid mode for the screen
> with a lot of other message I don't understand.
>
> no need to say 1.7.4 worked well on this box.
>
> Attached files are the config file, the log and lspci output.
>
> TIA for any help.

I'll put in a "me too" on this one. I'm running Debian Sid. I upgraded
to the Intel 2.0 driver, and so far:
 - Xinerama does not work (causes segfault in the X server)
 - I can't use the panel integrated into my laptop (ie, the LFP
connected via LVDS does not work)
 - When I connect a 17" LCD to my laptop, it works at native res
(woohoo!) but for unknown reasons only 1024x768 of it is usable for
programs (I'm using ratpoison, and the remainder of the screen is the
usual X stipple pattern)
 - When DPMS engages, it shuts down the external CRT like it should;
however, when I create X activity to restore the display, the display
comes back up (backlight fires up; display's getting signal), but the
display is black. Switching to console and back fixes this.

I'm using a Panasonic Toughbook CF-R1.

I've attached the video BIOS for my laptop.

Gilles, can you confirm similar broken behavior with your setup?

Thanks,

David Bronaugh