ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder8500DV / TFT F-419.

Vincent Blondel vincent at xtra-net.org
Sun Jun 17 22:11:34 PDT 2007

On Sun, June 17, 2007 04:19, Anders Johansson wrote:
Hi,

I have the same problem with exactly the same card and use it with a
DVI monitor. The same problem also occurs if I connect a CRT. The
problem started for me during an upgrade as well (I run Debian). I
have seen a post previously about a problem on the same card, perhaps
it is related
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2006-December/020766.html

I did not find the solution for my problem in this mail but I tested some
tips I found in a few mails on the net and get this now :

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "RADEON-8500DV"
   Driver      "ati"
   VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc"
   BoardName   "R200 BB [Radeon All in Wonder 8500DV]"
   BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
   Option "DPMS"
   Option "BusType" "AGP"
   Option "AGPMode" "4"            # AGP 4x
   Option "AGPSize" "64"           # AGP aperture size
   Option "UseFBDev" "false"
   #Option "RingSize" "4"
   #Option "BufferSize" "2"
   #Option "EnableDepthMoves" "true"
   Option "ColorTiling" "true"
   Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps" "false"  # Faster RENDER Acceleration
   Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"              # Use Xorg Acceleration
Architecture
   Option "EnablePageFlip" "true"          # Enable page flipping for 3D
   Option "RenderAccel" "true"             # Enable the hardware render
acceleration
   #Option "BackingStore" "true"           # Faster double buffering
EndSection

This starts very quickly ( more quickly than earlier ) but still not
always. Let's say 3 times on 4 this configuration works. I do not know why
all these kind of optimization give a better result for a simple display
but this seems the best result for me right now.

If somebody get an idea for this change of behaviour and maybe a solution
for me ?

Cheers,
//Anders