Intel driver problem

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 13:28:53 PDT 2007

On 6/16/07, Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:
> The default technique for displaying the video has been switched from
> the overlay to drawing video using the 3D hardware as a texture. This
> improves the ability to support Composite and RandR at the cost of
> increased hardware demands and reduced video control support.
>
> You can either change your program to use the overlay adaptor
> explicitly:
>
>  $ mplayer -vo xv:port=89
>
> or you can change the order that the adaptors are created inside the
> driver (see i830_video.c:I830InitVideo) to place the overlay first
> instead of second so that applications will default to the desired port.
>
> The basic problem is that these two mechanisms have different advantages
> and disadvantages; selecting the "right" default turns out to be
> problematic. Eric has made a few improvements in the textured video path
> in the last week and fixing the remaining tearing and video output
> property limitations are possible as well.
>
> --
> keith.packard at intel.com

How difficult would it be to add an xorg.conf option to define the
purpose of the machine? (asks the non-developer who knows very little
of driver development)  I'm just thinking that it would be easier for
"the majority" of people to make a simple xorg option like:
VideoOutPurpose  = Movies
VideoOutPurpose  = Gaming

And have it default to Gaming (or general or...) for the general
desktop purposes; but allow an easy way to change it (instead of
modifying the source or making a special xv call) and have it
universal across the applications without special parameters with each
call.

Just a thought from the Peanut Gallery.

-Chad