"Memory leak" when using mplayer with damaged videos

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 16:07:27 PDT 2007

Hello,

I am using mplayer with the gl2 backand and sometimes I encouter
damaged videos. It seems X then allocates a lot of memory (maybe
mplayer uploads textures without end, but shouldn't this fail
somewhere instead of eating all memory?)

This is my "top" output:
2665 root      15   0 1539m 854m 9972 S    0 42.3  12:26.55 Xorg

This is my "xrestop" output:
Monitoring 19 clients. XErrors: 0
Pixmaps:    5931K total, Other:     105K total, All:    6037K total

Killing mplayer with "killall -9 gmplayer" does not free the occupied
resources, nor does killing mplayer with Cntr+Esc free it again.

I use the Xorg release distributed with FC6 (fully updated), my card
is a integrated intel-945GM, I do not use composition or AIGLX. The
laptop is "Toshiba Tecra A8".

lg Clemens