intel driver will only compile with gcc

Donnie Berkholz dberkholz at gentoo.org
Wed Jun 13 00:36:00 PDT 2007

Kean Johnston wrote:
> The UnixWare compiler has both named initializers and variadic macro
> support (although the intel driver currently uses a gcc-ism for them
> not the way they are defined to work in C99). The OSR5 C compiler does
> not, but gcc is used to compile on OSR5 anyway. Ther problem is the last
> version of GCC that was supported on OSR5 was 2.95.3, and since leaving
> SCO I have not had the time to maintain gcc in my own time, so thats
> very likely where it will stay :(

Are you requesting that X remain compatible with gcc 2.95 and an OS
released in 1995 unto eternity? It seems like those OSR5 users could
upgrade to OSR6 if they expect new features rather than simple bugfixes.

Is there some definite date in the future when we can say, "It's now OK
to use features widespread in current compilers, if they have a reason
for use"? Or are we stuck with C89 forever?

Thanks,
Donnie