intel driver will only compile with gcc

Kean Johnston kean at armory.com
Tue Jun 12 15:30:09 PDT 2007

> Sun is a sponsor of the X.Org Foundation, like many other companies.
> Sun's contribution has absolutely no bearing on X.Org as a technical
> project, nor does it have any bearing on my technical judgement as a
> contributor in my spare time.
>
> I am, quite honestly, extremely insulted that you'd suggest otherwise.
I didn't. I am well aware of Sun's contributions and I have read Alan's
explainations many times. I was making mention of the recent trend away
from "openness", and the all-embracing attitude that used to prevail.
Nothing more, so please do not be insulted for none was intended.

If you want "proof" of how much less "open" X.org has become, try this.
Look at the list of supported platforms for the 6.x series. Look at the
supported platform list for the 7.x series. Spot the difference? And
when someone dares to try and revive a previously supported platform,
also on his own spare time, and points out problems of difficulties
that are putting roadblocks in the way of that work, does he get any
support whatsoever? No. Instead, because he missed a mail thread that
discussed an issue that is blocking, even though coming late to the
game any attempts at addressing the technical merits of the approach
taken are either ignored, or brushed aside based on stylistic reasons.
If you can't appreciate the frustration that causes then I am quite
shocked.