intel driver will only compile with gcc

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at sun.com
Tue Jun 12 14:58:53 PDT 2007

Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 02:30:04PM -0700, Kean Johnston wrote:
>> I remember
>> the days when "open" meant more than just Linux (or Solaris, whose
>> owner helps pays the bills).
>
> This is the only part of your mail I'm going to bite on.
>
> Sun is a sponsor of the X.Org Foundation, like many other companies.
> Sun's contribution has absolutely no bearing on X.Org as a technical
> project, nor does it have any bearing on my technical judgement as a
> contributor in my spare time.

The part of Sun's money that got Solaris to be well supported was in
the paychecks of people like myself, Stuart, and Deron who were paid to
participate in and contribute to the open source community.   Some of
that goes to ensuring things work on Solaris and with Sun compilers,
and other to general projects that help regardless of OS (like my work
on the 7.x modularization, and Stuart's time organizing the X.Org
Developer's Conference).

Sun's donations of cash and hardware to the X.Org Foundation have been
far less productive than the donations of time and effort.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com