Preliminary OLPC xkb definitions

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Jun 12 01:04:08 PDT 2007

On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 11:55:13PM -0400, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> Sergey Udaltsov wrote:
>>> Sounds like a broken keyboard or kernel map to me.  But, regardless, why
>>> not make keycodes/olpc if you really need to, and have model olpc
>>> include that?
>> Well, I am not in favor of creating multiple keycodes unless we have
>> to. First, I'd love to get to the bottom of the problem whether it is
>> a bug in evdev driver or what?
>
> Zephaniah probably knows better, but I think it's because the OLPC
> keyboard sends the same scan codes for these keys.

If you're sending KEY_SLASH for something that is not /, then that
should get fixed.

>> Yes, keysym A1 looks rather suspicious...
>
> It's A for "analog" key, a little like F for "function".
>
> We could change it to AN01, AN02... Jim Gettys is also
> in favor of renaming them like this.

Can you explain what they do?  If they're not boolean (up or down), but
instead analogue, it sounds like they need to be valuators rather than
keys.

> +/*
> + * The idea of the semantics of "analog keys" is they may be used as though
> + * they are analog sliders; closer together than conventional function keys,
> + * and grouped in sets of up to 8 keys. In the original OLPC case, we
> + * have in 21 keys, in groups of 7 keys, and leave out keys 8 and 16.
> + * Since there isn't enough space for another row of keys, they are fn keys.
> + */

If they're sliders, then they should be valuators (arbitrary values),
rather than keys (boolean).

> +#define XK_ViewSource		0xfc22  /* view of source of the "activity" */
> +#define XK_ViewActivity		0xfc23	/* view of your current "activity" */
> +#define XK_ViewHome		0xfc24	/* view of your personal environment */
> +#define XK_ViewGroups		0xfc25  /* view of friends */
> +#define XK_ViewNeighborhood	0xfc26  /* view of people "near" you in the mesh */

These could be slightly more generic, but the comments are _extremely_
OLPC-specific.

> +/* "Focus Link" symbols; used to navigate in hypertext systems */
> +
> +#define XK_FocusNextLink	0xfc27 /* move to next link */
> +#define XK_FocusPreviousLink	0xfc28 /* move to previous link */

XF86XK_Back, XF86XK_Forward?  Or tab and shift-tab?

Cheers,
Daniel