intel i915 hardware limit @ 2048x2048 for DRI?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jun 11 16:36:04 PDT 2007

Eric Anholt wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 00:40 +0200, Remy Bosch wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was wondering why the dri was switched off when I enabled a virtual of
>> 2560x1024, and found a warning that said:
>> (EE) intel(0): Cannot support DRI with frame buffer width > 2048.
>>
>> I use this virtual for use with a second monitor to add a desktop screen.
>>
>> Is this a hardware maximum? Or could I solve it by assigning more memory?
>
> It is a hardware maximum.

The i965 is 4096 IIRC.

Keith P said that the 2048 limit will eventually be worked around but
for now you are out of luck. It's preventing me using a dual head setup
too as I like my 3D too much. If I was able to position stuff correctly
I could have a CRT sitting above my laptop with a height of 998 or less
which would be half way usable :)

I don't think there are any specific short term plans to work around the
limit but Keith will probably be able to say more. I think the concept
is easy enough but the coding is a bit of a bitch but I don't really
know anything about it if I'm being honest.

Col