Problem with latest intel driver on 965GM

Nicolas Bougues nbougues-listes at axialys.net
Mon Jun 11 03:37:17 PDT 2007

On Friday 08 June 2007 14:32:31 Nicolas Bougues wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I'm using a brand new Dell D630 which features the 965GM video chipset with
> a 1440x900 LCD panel, and having some resolution trouble with it.
>
> Using VESA driver (and with the the help of the 915resolution tool!) it
> does the native resolution well.
>
> OTOH, with the latest (as of monday) intel driver pulled from git, the
> screen resolution seems to be limited to 1280x800, no matter what I can put
> in the xorg.conf file. xrandr will report the 1440x900 mode as available,
> but when I switch to it, the display gets very blurry, although X is really
> using 1440x900. Just like if I were exceeding the hardware resolution, when
> I'm not.
>
> From my point of view, it's somewhat like if X was sending 1440x900, but
> the LVDS driver was set up for 1280x800, would resample to that resolution,
> and then stretching to 1440x900 of the panel.
>
> I'm not sure whether I got something wrong with the xorg.conf files (I
> tried too many options to mention, but came back to something simple), or
> if there is a slight glitch in the driver somewhere.

OK, I somewhat solved the problem.

In i830_lvds_mode_set (i830_lvds.c), I disabled the autoscaling feature (set
pfit_control = 0). And it did the trick (that is, 1440x900 is now clear and
sharp, not blurry anymore).

However, I may run into trouble if I ever need to use any other (non native)
resolution on the panel.

So there is probably more to dig around there, but I think I'm not familiar
enough with the chipset and the way it works to handle that.

--
Nicolas Bougues
Axialys Interactive