[ANNOUNCE] libX11 1.1.2

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sat Jun 9 10:02:02 PDT 2007

Jamey Sharp wrote:

> I hope that helps. Thanks to Josh Triplett for reviewing this mail.

Thank you for the comprehensive explanation.

I only have one comment: unusual performance peaks (up or down),
usually reveal bugs and are therefore interesting targets for
further analysis.

Resizing windows faster with libX11+libXCB, could for example
be caused by saving one or more round trips for some reason.
This would be easy to determine with wireshark or some other
X11 protocol analyzer.

The unusually slow NoOperation is also interesting.  If this
slowdown is still large with a 16KB buffer, it may very well
approximate the real overhead of libX11+libXCB vs libX11.

Calculating overhead with an X server performing draw
operations may be more real-world, but leads to unstable and
unfair results.  By installing a faster video card, I could
obtain better lower values than yours.  The best we can do
is assuming an infinitely fast graphics card and test against
an Xnull server that doesn't exist yet (Xvfb still does too
much work).

--
   // Bernardo Innocenti
 \X/  http://www.codewiz.org/