Waiting for vertical refresh on Intel 965 and 945 chips in recent git

Simon Farnsworth simon.farnsworth at onelan.co.uk
Fri Jun 8 01:29:57 PDT 2007

Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-06-07 at 18:00 +0100, Simon Farnsworth wrote:
>> Is there any way for me to wait for VBlank that doesn't depend on having
>> a window at the top of the stack?
>
> I'm afraid not without code changes.
>
>> We're willing to custom patch anything to make this work (from the
>> kernel upwards).
>
> I guess the simplest solution for you right now would be to disable the
> code in the intel driver that disables the vblank interrupts.

Any idea where I should look in the intel driver? Even just knowing
whether it's the DRI driver or the X driver I need to hack would be helpful.

> There's been some discussion on and off the dri-devel list about a
> generic solution for the DRM to only enable the vblank interrupts when
> needed and keep them disabled otherwise. If you're interested in working
> on that, we can discuss the current ideas there.

I'm not likely to have time to work on this soon, but I've subscribed to
dri-devel so that I can join in next time the discussion comes round (or
indeed, start the discussion myself when I've got the time to implement
something).
--
Simon Farnsworth