Samsung 205BW DDC problem

Samuel Verstraete samuel.verstraete at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 23:50:40 PDT 2007

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 23:10:48 -0700
Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 00:16 +0300, Daniel Ciocea wrote:
> >  In my opinion the error is caused by
> > the DDC information from the monitor, which determines the
> > selection of the wrong synchronization  signals polarity: "+hsync
> > -vsync". I tried my own modelines with the other polarities (e.g
> > "-hsync -vsync"and "NoDDC") and the native resolution is correctly
> > set, but the fonts problem is still present.
>
> Can you try with -hsync +vsync and see if that works as well? We've
> got a list of EDID 'quirks' in the X server and that's one of them.
>
> > Can you tell me how can I get an work around for this wrong
> > behavior?
>
> The EDID fix is easy; I have no idea what is wrong with your fonts
> though, 'messed up' covers a lot of possible problems. Is the screen
> physical size wrong?

I have the 205BW as well... and if i'd known i'd have so much trouble
with it i would have gone with something else...
Mine kept flickering all the time... anyway for you refernce this is my
xorg.conf (it's for the binary nvidia blob though)

This is in the Device section of my gpu: (might be a nvidia thing only
though)
 Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "TRUE"

This is the Modeline that worked here...
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Samsung"
    ModelName      "205BW"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 81.0
    VertRefresh     56.0 - 75.0
    Option         "DPMS"
    Modeline "1680x1050R"  119.00  1680 1728 1760 1840  1050 1053 1059
1080 +hsync -vsync
EndSection

Seems like this monitor has incorrect information written in the DDC...
more specifically the VertRefresh can nog be 60.0 but has to be
59.something... don't recall...

cheers,
S.