Merging SM501 driver from old xfree86 into xf86-video-siliconmotion

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 12:12:56 PDT 2007

On 6/6/07, Clemens Koller <clemens.koller at anagramm.de> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I want or I need support for the Silicon Motion SM501 (SM502 is on the way)
> Graphics Chip in xf86-video-siliconmotion.
>
> There is an "old" xfree86 driver in:
> http://cvsweb.xfree86.org/cvsweb/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/siliconmotion/
> which has SM501 support.
>
> And there is a "new" driver in the Xorg git:
> git://git.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-siliconmotion.git
> and a identical
> http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-siliconmotion/
> which somehow missed the SM501 support. :-(

smi501 support really doesn't belong in the same driver as the older
hardware since the hardware is substantially different.  The original
patch and the code in xfree86 cvs is a mess.

> My questions:
> 1. Is there already anybody working workin on the SM501 code / pulling it
> over from the old driver?

I was working on it a while ago, but at the time I didn't have
hardware, and since I got hardware, I haven't had time to mess with
it.  I have a driver available, but I wanted to test a bit more before
putting it in git.  Also, dualhead support wasn't working and I had
hoped to get that fixed.  However, I suppose it probably makes sense
to just put up.  single head works fine IIRC.

modular:
http://www.botchco.com/alex/xorg/smi501.tar.gz
monolith:
http://www.botchco.com/alex/xorg/smi501-monolith.tar.gz

> 2. Is this the right list to get help with the migration?
> (I was hacking lots of code for the SM501 fb driver, but not for
> the native X one.)

yes.  If you want to hack on the driver, let me know and I'll get the
current code in git and you can submit patches or have commit access
to the tree.

> 3. Is the migration to git already finished or shall I use the cvs tree?

Everything is in git now.  cvs is basically just there for historical purposes.

Alex