How to make the nouveau driver actually to work

kilgota at banach.math.auburn.edu kilgota at banach.math.auburn.edu
Tue Jun 5 19:08:54 PDT 2007

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007, Alan Coopersmith wrote:

> kilgota at banach.math.auburn.edu wrote:
>> Upon starting X I get a black screen with a little watch face in the
>> middle. Things never get past that point, no matter how long I wait. The
>> only thing to do is Cntrl-Alt-Backspace to kill it.
>
> If all you ran was "X" or "Xorg", that's exactly what happens when you
> run any X server by itself.

I have always maintained that Linux stuff has made big progress over the
competition. When things sit and don't start right away, we have a watch,
and those poor guys have to settle for an hourglass. (joke)

> Nothing interesting happens until you run
> clients, whether that be via startx, xinit, gdm, or whatever.

It made absolutely no difference if I ran startx, xinit (which with my
setup does the same thing because I have a local .xinitrc in my account,
which is supposed to start fvwm2), or just X. Didn't try gdm. Sorry that I
did not make clear what exactly I had tried. Rather, I expected that I am
going to get asked for lots of log files. I am glad enough to send logs
to someone who actually wants them, but it has always seemed to me it
is bad form to spam a mailing list with such things.

Theodore Kilgore