20 EUR reward (PayPal) to the person who can get my external VGA to work properly

Pierre Bauduin pierre at baudu.in
Tue Jun 5 05:42:25 PDT 2007

2007/6/5, Zhengpeng Hou <zhengpeng-hou at ubuntu.com>:

> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "ATI Technologies Inc M11 NV [FireGL Mobility
> T2e]"
>         Driver          "radeon"
>         BusID           "PCI:0:16:0"
>         Option          "MergedFB" "true"
> #       Option          "UseFBDev"              "true"
>         Option          "ColorTiling"           "on"
>         Option          "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"
>         Option          "AGPMode"               "4"
>         Option          "AGPFastWrite"           "true"
>         Option          "EnablePageFlip"        "true"
>         Option          "UseInternalAGPGART"    "no"
> #       Option          "RenderAccel"           "true"
>         Option          "UseFWPLL"              "true"
>         Option          "EnableDepthMoves"      "true"
>         Option          "backingStore"           "true"
>         Option          "DynamicClocks"          "on"
> #        Option          "MetaModes" "1280x854 1280x854-1280x1024"
> #       Option          "MergedDPI" "100 100"
> #        Option          "CRT2Position" "LeftOf"
>         Option           "MonitorLayout" "LCD, CRT"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier      "COLOR LCD"
>         Option          "DPMS"
> Option "LVDS"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier "EXTERNAL"
>         Option "VGA"
> #       HorizSync 30-82
> #       VertRefresh 56-75
> EndSection
>
> I'm using kubuntu gutsy, with above configure, I can have my ibook G4
> work with external VGA

Yes, it worked !
You have just earned 20 EUR :)

Now my external VGA display finally works properly in both Mac OS X and
Debian GNU/Linux 4.0
Here's the detailed information:
http://pierre.baudu.in/ibook/#external_vga_output

Perhaps a dumb question but...
I don't need the external vga ouput all the time. In fact I only need it
when I make presentations with a beamer, that is once every three months.
Should I keep using the xorg.conf with the external VGA output defined even
if I don't need it ?
Will it "suck" more energy from the battery if I leave the VGA ouput enabled
in xorg.conf ?

To Zhengpeng Hou: Can I send you the 20 EUR to your address:
zhengpeng-hou at ubuntu.com ?
Or do you prefer if I send it to another address ?

Other folks: Thanks a lot :)
It's a pleasure when you can get things to work :)

Cheers,
--
Pierre Bauduin
Linux enthusiast since 1996