Beryl/Compiz on ati rage 128

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 13:17:24 PDT 2007

On 6/4/07, Quant <kknull0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm tryng to install beryl/compiz on an old ati rage128.
> I have xgl and 3d acceleration enabled  and working correctly, but when I
> try to start compiz or beryl I get a "visual is not a double buffered
> gl visual" error message.
>
> According to this link:
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2007-January/020919.html
> ,
> I have to replace "for (db = 0; db <= R128_USE_DB; db++) {" line in
> r128_dri.c, but this line does not exist in my driver.
>
> Any suggestion?

fixing the doubled buffered issue is pretty easy (I think I even have
a patch somewhere), but the main problem is that r128 does not support
rectangular textures, so even if you switched the default visual,
compiz or beryl will fail on the lack of rectangular textures.  You
could probably get something working by implementing glucose support
for r128, but that's still experimental at the moment.

Alex