What _is_ the fill rate of an unladen r100?

Michel Dänzer michel at tungstengraphics.com
Mon Jun 4 02:03:26 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 16:48 -0700, Carl Worth wrote:

> What is still confusing to me is that it seems that when I start my X
> server, (whether EXA or not), with my r100 I sometimes get fill rates
> of about 125M pixels/sec., (x11perf -rect500 says 501 rects/sec.), and
> I sometimes get fill rates of about 193M pixels/sec, (x11perf -rect500
> says 772 rects/sec.).
>
> The behavior seems to stay the same within a running instance of the X
> server. But I don't have any idea what triggers the change, (I
> originally saw the slow rate from a custom-built server and the fast
> rate from a Debian-packaged server, but then I saw the fast rate from
> the original custom-built server).
>
> Anyone have any insight on what might be happening there?

Does the log file show any differences between the two cases? One
possibility could be one vs. two active CRTCs.

> And does anybody know exactly what fill rate I should "expect" from
> this card? Or I how might determine memory speeds or other information
> necessary to determine that?

grep RAM: /var/log/Xorg.0.log

gives you the memory type and bus width, and there's code in
RADEONProbePLLParameters (not normally used when there's a video BIOS)
to calculate the memory clock.