xf86-video-intel accepts modelines for VGA/DVI output but not TV

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Jun 3 09:57:43 PDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-06-03 at 18:50 +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> I've got a couple of modelines which I would like to try for TV
> (component/HDTV) output.

The TV encoder doesn't use modelines at all, and the current version
cannot generate 1080p signaling.

You select the desired signal type with

$ xrandr --output TV --set TV_FORMAT <format>

where format is one of NTSC-M, NTSC-443, NTSC-J, PAL-M, PAL-N, PAL,
480p at 59.94Hz, 480p at 60Hz, 576p, 720p at 60Hz, 720p at 59.94Hz, 720p at 50Hz,
1080i at 50Hz, 1080i at 60Hz, 1080i at 59.94Hz

You can separately specify the input pixel size and the TV output will
scale.

You can also set the margins to center the image on your screen by
setting the LEFT, TOP, RIGHT or BOTTOM properties.

If your TV provides DVI, HDMI or VGA inputs, you're going to get a lot
better results than using the TV encoder though.

keith.packard at intel.com