most significant improvements/changes for X.org?

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Tue Jul 31 07:25:23 PDT 2007

I am trying to build a list (maybe top ten) of the most significant
improvements to X.org. I want to write this for an article targeted to
non-developers, so just for X users.

Please let me know what you think are the most important changes. Also
mention the features or what is significant about it for the end user.

Here are few I found from looking at release notes:

6.7.0 added IPv6 support

6.8.0 added new extensions: XFixes and Damage. (Also Composite and XEvIE
but not enabled)

6.8.0 includes Xdmx (distributed multihead server)

6.8.0 improved Xprint support

6.8.1 XTT font module and FreeType 1 retired

6.8.1 Infrastructure for rotation support in drivers (what does this
mean?)

6.8.1 Enable or disable extensions from command line or using
configuration file.

7.0 first in modular series

7.0 EXA is a new accleration architecture to replace XAA (what does this
mean for the end-user?)

7.0 updated PCI scanning (what does this mean for end user?)

7.0 inproved XBD data and layouts

Does X.org have a wiki or do you know of any other article that summarizes
X.org's most significant changes?

  Jeremy C. Reed