Is there an easy way to build X client libraries?

Fulko Hew fulko.hew at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 05:49:23 PDT 2007

I'm new to the list, because I'm trying to build the X server libraries
so that I can run X applications on an embedded system and have
its output visible on remote servers.

So far, I haven't been able to find an easy way of knowing 'what to
build', and especially in 'what order'.

My approach, so far has been:

1/ I chose what I thought might be the simplest X application out there
   that had the fewest depedancies 'xeyes'.
2/ Running ./configure on xeyes, tells me what I'm missing on my system
   ie.  x11, xt, xext, xmu
3/ Then (for example) I go and find the tarball for x11, and run through
   its ./configure, only to find its dependencies.
4/ Eventually, I find a tarball that I can configure; make; make install.
5/ Follow the dependency chain, until all is resolved, and I can build
    all the dependencies for all the libraries that xeyes needs.

Althought that approach worked, it did take 8 hours to wade through
that dependency scenario and process about 14 tarballs.
There has to be a better way, doesn't there???

Then of course the next question might be... how to I build a server?
But I don't know if I need to go there at all, but if I do, it will be
because I want to incorporate a headless server for VNC support.

Any comments??

TIA
Fulko