XImage Transparency

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Thu Jul 26 16:19:56 PDT 2007

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 00:21:18 +0200 Juliusz Chroboczek
<Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr> babbled:

> >> How can you make part of an XImage transparent (true transparency - as
> >> in I can see something under the transparent parts) ?
>
> > You can't.
>
> > If you want to plot a "masked" image, you need a separate mask bitmap,
> > where 1 represents opaque and 0 represents transparent.
> >
> > First, the mask needs to exist as a 1-bit Pixmap. You can then set
> > this as the clip mask using XSetClipMask() and XSetClipOrigin(). When
> > you draw the image (XPutImage), it will be masked against the clip
> > mask.
>
> And watch your X server collapse.
>
> If you use XSetClipMask, the bitmap will be converted to a set of
> spans, which will kill performance.

that depends on the mask complexity. if its a simple-ish outline you are fine.
(i.e no more than 2 spans per image line on average for example).

> Instead, you should be using the Render extension together with RGBA
> images.

and watch performance collapse too. xrender isn't a perfromance beast. you pay
for a read/modify/write cycle PER PIXEL. xputimage with a mask is a write cycle
only with no read latency from the destination involved (and good luck if its
accelerated - properly). also this will limit you to SANE uses only being 24bpp
- down to 16bpp and 8bpp this will just fall over as xrender needs to
up-convert to 24bpp - do the blend, then down-convert to destination depth (or
use colorspace specific blend handling). also this won't work on old xservers -
so you need a fallback for when you run on that nice old NCD terminal anyway -
so back to ximage + mask :)

main point is - xrender is not a silver bullet. it's a bed of roses - lots of
thorns too. it mostly depends on what kind of input data you are looking at and
your desired results and support. xrender is an option - if alpha blending is
really what you want/need. if your masks will be complex it might be an option
too. in the end unless you are creating toolkits - you probably want to use
existing toolkits/libraries to worry about this for you as people have written
them to abstract this problem away from you.

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com
裸好多
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)