Intel 965GM issues

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Thu Jul 26 12:42:34 PDT 2007

On Wednesday, July 25, 2007 3:22 pm nikosapi wrote:
> On July 25, 2007 01:57:03 pm Jesse Barnes wrote:
> > On Tuesday, July 24, 2007 6:35 pm, nikosapi wrote:
> > > I guess what I'm asking is, is it possible to disable the TV
> > > output or would it be possible to set the LVDS monitor as Screen
> > > 1?
> >
> > Yes, definitely (I recently did this on my 965 laptop too).  You'll
> > need to add a "Monitor" section to describe and disable your TV
> > device, then tell the Intel driver which output corresponds to that
> > monitor, e.g.:

> > Section "Device"
> > 	Identifier "Videocard0"
> > 	Driver "intel"
> > 	Option "monitor-TV" "TV"
> > 	Option "monitor-VGA" "VGA"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "Monitor"
> > 	Identifier "TV"
> > 	Option "disable" "true"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "Monitor"
> > 	Identifier "VGA"
> > 	Option "RightOf" "LVDS"
> > EndSection
> >
> > This will disable the TV output and unconditionally set the VGA
> > output to be right of (an extended desktop configuration) of your
> > laptop screen if detected at server start time.  And of course, you
> > can always change your resolution on the fly using xrandr or your
> > favorite Randr1.2 GUI app.
> >
> > Jesse
>
> Thank you so much!!! It worked like a charm!
>
> One more question, when I was trying to troubleshoot this myself I
> didn't see the 'Option "monitor-TV" "TV"' options anywhere. Was I not
> looking in the right place? (intel and xorg.conf manpages) Or did I
> miss something?

No, you were probably looking in the right place, but for some reason
the last server release didn't include the man page bits describing the
above options.  The next release will though.  The options
are "monitor-<type>" where <type> is whatever types your driver
supports, TV, VGA, LVDS, TMDS, etc. in the case of Intel, VGA, LVDS,
DVI, etc. in the case of radeon (yes we should standardize these
somehow), not sure about the other randr supporting drivers.

Jesse